We will start the ELD MOOC with two assignments, an individual assignment and a team assignment.
To start with, please read the ELD_MOOC_2.0_course_script_Week_1 by Emmanuelle Quillérou with contributions from Thomas Falk.
1) The individual assignment
The first assignment is very short and will help us to get acquainted with each other. All of us are stakeholders to a land. We would like you to share more information about this. Please go to the world map and click an “Add your Stakeholder Marker”.
- Name: Enter the name of the land e.g. Tempelhofer Feld
- Description: Write a brief statement what kind of stakeholder you are and what your interest is. Pls. also add your name if you wish
- Perspectives: Choose your perspective. Is it a business, a policy or a research perspective?
- Region: Choose the region where the land is located.
This assignment will receive general feedback.
The assignment is due at the end of week 1.
2) The team assignment
In this first assignment you will start working in a team. With your team you will choose the case study that will be the basis for your work in this Mooc. In the coming weeks, you will develop a stakeholder engagement plan. This assignment is due at the end of week 2. Here is how to proceed:
1. Choose a team: Here you find a list of teams. Based on the region you are interested in, please choose a group.
In case that you already formed relations in the Mooc 2014 or if you wish to work with specific participants, please feel free to reconnect and form a new team.
2. Find a case study: Your team has three options to find a case study.
Option 1: Your own case
We encourage you to choose your own case. At the same time, if you do so, you need to make sure that your case meets the following criteria of Economics of Land Degradation.
- The land is degraded
- Your focus is an ecosystem, an ecosystem service and its benefits
- You should have valid information on costs and benefits of current and future land use practices.
- You should be able to obtain information on stakeholders.
Option 2: Case from ELD MOOC 2014
Another option is to choose an existing case from the ELD MOOC 2014.
Option 3: Literature research
The ELD Initiative has compiled a number of scientific case studies,
these are available in the ELD Database. Execute your own
literature research and agree upon a study in your team.
The team assignment is due at the end of week 2.The assignment will be submitted in your team. In each team you will be able to start a new document. Please prepare your assignment using the document function. You may add your own files to the document. At the end of week 2, you will be able to submit a document.
Please note: Once you are ready to submit your document, please make sure that EACH TEAM MEMBER presses the SUBMIT Button, which will be available in week 2. Only then, the submission counts towards the individual team member.