In continuing to support the ELD Initiative capacity-building endeavours, a second ELD MOOC was offered by the Initiative. Building off the 2014 ELD MOOC, which focused on performing cost-benefit analyses to promote sustainable land management, the 2015 ELD MOOC addressed the importance of working with relevant stakeholders to implement sustainable land management choices effectively and sustainably.
Options and Pathways
The course introduced approaches to identify options and pathways for action, methods to identify stakeholders, and how to establish a basis for initiating engagement and discussion. At the end of the course, participants would develop their own stakeholder engagement plan. This MOOC helped participants understand how to effectively engage with stakeholders, and address and remove barriers to the successful adoption of sustainable land management. It drew from a range of publications, guidelines, examples, and case studies (inclusive of both successes and failures in order to identify best practices), selected under the guidance of experts of the ELD Initiative.
Upon completion of this course, participants were be able to:
- Describe examples of possible options and pathways for the adoption of sustainable land management;
- Clarify the objectives of stakeholder engagement;
- Identify the main stakeholders involved in land management;
- Undertake a stakeholder analysis;
- Identify most appropriate stakeholder engagement instruments in specific cases;
- Prepare material for engagement and discussion with stakeholders;
- Critically assess conditions and skills required for successful stakeholder engagement, and;
- Develop a stakeholder engagement plan.